Saturday 2 February 2013

Probably playing in the background...


“All the permutations and combinations of the 7 basic scales”

“Something, which when done right, speaks to and soothes your soul” - (moi!)

These two definitions, are poles apart :
 one completely clinical and scientific, and the other, to quote our professor:
 “A politician’s answer or a b.s answer”.

But, both of them define the exact same thing. What is it, you ask???









MUSIC

Very rare indeed are the people who can rightfully claim to never have been influenced by, listened to, or been associated with, in any manner whatsoever, for a majority of their lives.(The part of me that loves John Grsiham novels talking!) Indeed,the opposite seems true
Here are some thoughts on music from some people you might recognize : (In case you don't, I hope you come in peace, alien life form.)


“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music. ... I get most joy in life out of music.”



"Music oft hath such a charm 
To make bad good, and good provoke to harm."

(Measure for Measure, 4.1.14)

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy."(Ludwig Van Beethoven in all his glory!) 


"Philosophy is the highest music." 
Invented Philosophy!!!(or did he?, another philosophical question!)


"The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with." 



"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to"

"I need music. It's like my heartbeat, so to speak. It keeps me going no matter what's going on - bad games, press, whatever!"
(One of B-Ball's all time Greats - Lebron James)
"I love to listen to the classical music because it calms me down, calms my nerves down." 
Novak Djokovic

"Sometimes I feel like rap music is almost the key to stopping racism." 
Eminem

These quotes, literally, spawn space and time. How old is music?Well, the answers seem to contradict, but, shockingly, here's a YAHOO  answer, of all things. To sum it up, what it says is : no freaking way to answer that question, for the reason that it began before history was a thing.

Originally, I intended to compare and contrast Hindi songs of the present and 10 years back. I wished to say that the lyrics, tunes and the general quality overall has degraded significantly. Though this does seem to be the case, in the years 2009-12(here,here and here!) more recent releases don't have lyrics that sound like the person wrote them was high on lsd, sleep-deprived and going through a mid-life crisis.

It is the popular belief that music is 'degrading' over the ages. Eminem, Akon, and Hani Singh are alll constantly critiqued for releasing songs which have lyrics that make you want to commit suicide(literally!). But that doesn't stop all and sundry from listening to them,now does it?

All the people against about today's music compare it with golden oldies. But logically speaking, the only music that endures centuries has to be phenomenal, to say the least. I doubt whether all of Eminem's songs are gonna be listened to. So, music hasn't degraded. Only our perceptions as a whole have been changed.

Conclusion???
Much ado has been made about the subconscious mind, and how it manifests itself in very,very weird ways.
Why is it that the F-bomb drops very easily, but we cringe mentally when we encounter the word rape in any form. Is it because some other 4-letter words have become very commonplace? Is it because those words form an integral part of today's music and culture(Ironic isn't it?). I'm no scientist. 
You decide.



P.S :
To 'educate' your taste : 500 greatest songs of all time by rolling stone  (It's dumb. And old)

No comments:

Post a Comment